Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dark Shadows

Title: Dark Shadows
Director: Tim Burton
Writer:  Seth Grahame-Smith, John August, Seth Grahame-Smith, and Dan Curtis
Starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer and Eva Green
Grade: 73% or C-
 
 

My Thoughts::
I went to see this movie with a couple of my friends near the beginning of summer vacation. I only had a slight idea of what the movie was about, but since I knew it was supposed to be a comedy that featured Johnny Depp, I didn't hesitate to see it.

Since I wasn't completely sure what the whole movie was about my expectations were a bit weird. I thought they were all vampires in the family, not just Depp's character. I was disappointed but not completely let down. Even though this wasn't a strong "vampire" movie, it did do well with adding other supernatural elements. This mixed with its comedy, though not parody, made it really refreshing to watch.

The characters were pretty diverse which made it really hilarious to watch them interact. I liked getting the background information about Johnny Depp's character as well as Victoria. A lot of the humor came from Depp's character adjusting to life so far beyond his years and misunderstanding it greatly. The sex scene was also..interesting. And of course the action scenes were full of awesome paranormal abilities.

Unfortunately the good parts of this movie weren't so good when mixed with pretty much the only style of movie making Burton knows. Everything just feels too overdone and wacky and dark. The cast is his usuals which I just wasn't entirely feeling this time around. I wish Burton didn't feel like this is how he has to make movies.

No comments: