Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Tips For New Bloggers


Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's top ten is...

Top Ten Tips For New Book Bloggers. So I'm no expert, but I have learned a few things through the years.

1. Blog and read for yourself. Don't do it to get free books or to become well known. Do it because you like it and you want to share your opinion.

2. Keep the blog clean. Nothing is wrong with tabs or sidebars. They are great! But don't load them with things you don't really need. Buttons to your favorite blogs or events is fine, but don't make your viewers wait forever for everything to load.

3. No music please! If you have a book blog, your viewers aren't expecting to get an earful of your new favorite song. It's distracting and can slow down your page.

4. Be polite! Whether you are talking to other bloggers, or professionals in the book industry, try to stay mature. There are boundaries that you need to stay within, especially with professionals.

5. Be honest but don't bash. Say what you really feel about the books that you read. But critique them in a fair way. There is no need to say "So and so sucks at writing" or throw out other personal insults. Say what you want about the book, but back it up.

6. Comment and stay connected. I have trouble with this one myself. When you read a post you like, comment on it! They will appreciate it! Try to check out blogs that have commented on yours and comment back.

7. Don't be shy! It was a while before I felt comfortable with emailing a blogger with questions like how they did a certain thing with their page. I've gotten emails before asking for advice and other things. I love to help new or old bloggers whenever I can!

8. Jump into the action! Don't hesitate to sign up for a readathon, contest, giveaway hop, or other events! The people running these events want you to participate! It's a great way to meet other bloggers as well.

9. Stay organized. Sometimes things get a bit frantic, but it's easier to tackle a huge review pile or long list of reviews if you take it one day at a time and make a plan.

10. Don't let stress consume you. If blogging starts becoming a chore and you find you are not enjoying it anymore, take a break. Then, if you want, come back! Your readers will respect your decision and your blog is better when you're happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fantastic tips! I read blogs for years before I started commenting. Not sure what I was waiting for...

And I agree about the personal insults. I think it's okay to say you don't like the writing but I've seen bloggers write some really nasty things about authors. What did they ever do to you?!