Monday, January 25, 2010

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Originality- 20/20
Characters- 19/20
Remembrance- 9/10
Quote-ability- 9/10
Entertainment- 19/20
Ending- 10/10
Recommend to read- 10/10
TOTAL- 96/100
Grade- A

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when an asteroid knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove. In her journal, Miranda records the events of each desperate day, while she and her family struggle to hold on to their most priceless resource--hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book was extraordinary. You all know how much I love dystopian books, right? Well this one is about to go to the top of my favorites. There was so many different things going on it was just amazing.

First let's talk about what's going on. The moon is closer to earth and that's making things go all out of wack. Luckily Miranda's mom got them to go buy a whole bunch of food. This saved their lives. Her mom reminded me a lot like my own. She would be preparing just in case something were to happen. Food plays a big part in the book. I could feel my stomach growling even though I just ate. The feeling was so real and scary I had to put the book down for a minute.

It seemed like every time you were about to run out of hope something would happen that would keep you rooting for Miranda and her family. The whole family was amazing. They all had their moments when I wanted to smack them but I could see why they were acting that way.

The ending was a real tear jerker. It was very unexpected when the worst was thought to come.

The creativity and urgency of they entire novel was phenomenal. I laid awake at night thinking about this book. Overall I would say that Life As We Knew It was a very original and exciting read that had me believing this could really happen.

-Amanda

1 comment:

Robby said...

This book sounds great. The sequel might be one of the summer reading books at my school next summer, so maybe I'll have to read this, too! :]