Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Captivate by Carrie Jones

Originality- 19/20
Characters- 18/20
Remembrance- 7/10
Quote-ability- 7/10
Entertainment- 17/20
Ending- 8/10
Recommend to read- 8/10
TOTAL- 84/100
Grade- B

Zara and her friends thought they’d solved the pixie problem. And they did — sort of. The pixies are all locked away, deep in the woods. But the king’s needs grow stronger each day that he is in captivity, while his control over his people weakens. And it’s enough to draw a new king into town. Astley claims he is different. He claims there are pixies who can live peacefully with humans, that it doesn’t have to be all violence and nastiness all the time. Zara wants to believe him . . . until Astley also claims that she is fated to be his queen.

There is no way Zara would ever turn pixie. And she’s got good friends who will make sure of that. Besides, she and Nick are so in love they’re practically inseparable. But when the very thing Zara wants to protect most is exactly what’s at risk, she is forced to make choices she never imagined. . . .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am surprisingly happy with this sequel to Need. Need was a so so book to me. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I've been getting used to being disappointed while reading a sequel to a book and that's what I expected while reading Captivate. Thankfully that wasn't what I got.

Like I said in my review for Need (WHICH by the way I reviewed for Book Divas and now a part of my review was in the ARC!) I love how creative and out of the mainstream the novel is. I'm glad the fantasy is really popular now but I'm getting tired of Vampires and Werewolves. It's fun and refreshing to read about creatures that you don't know a ton about.

There were some new characters and even a couple of surprises. The characters developed which was great. The story is growing exactly like it should be.

The relationships that were presented in the novel also caught my attention. I'm so used to characters wanting to do everything themselves so that their friends won't get hurt. Every time I read something like this I think, wouldn't they get pissed if they're friend was doing what they were? I was soooo happy that didn't happen. Instead they enforced sticking together to keep each other safe which made a lot more sense to me.

Overall I would say that Captivate really impressed me and kept me captivated the entire way through. I will definitely be reading the next book. I recommend any fantasy lover to check these books out.

-Amanda

2 comments:

Robby said...

Loved your review! These books sound great. :]

sarah darlington said...

I'm glad to hear you liked it. I loved Need but the first couple chapters of Captivate have been slow for me. I needed this to keep going.