Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Keening by A. LaFaye

Title: The Keening
Author: A. LaFaye
Publisher: Milkweed Editions
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: B-

Born into a family with artistry in their fingers, Lyza laments that her only talent is carving letters into wood. That is until her life is turned upside down when her mother succumbs to the influenza pandemic of 1918, which is devastating their small coastal town in Maine. With her mother gone, Lyza must protect her eccentric father, who runs the risk of being committed, especially now that he claims he’s waiting for the return of his dead wife. Can Lyza save her father and find her own path in the process?
---------------------------------------------------

If there is any one book that I had to say had more than it first appears to, it's this one. I was expecting a simple story and mostly wanted to read it for the tragedy that it entailed. I know it's horrible, but I like to read books with human emotions at its highest points.

The book started out a little slow but after reading for a while I really started to get into. I believe this was mostly because of the characters. They just seemed so..true. I usually don't like to read books that talk about god a lot, but this one was different. It wasn't done in a shove it in your face way, it was just straight up belief. The setting was also really nice. The landscape was described beautifully. It almost felt like I was there.

One of the best parts of the book was the part that surprised me. Lyza and her father both have the ideas to talk to ghosts, or spirits, and help send them beyond. This part was really cool. I was just as surprised and freaked out as Lyza when she figured it out. This was fun because it added a new dimension to the book. It wasn't just Lyza trying to help her father, now she can fully understand his distanceness. She can believe, not only for herself, but for him, that her father is not insane.

Overall I would say that The Keening was better than I thought it would be. It was more than just a simple book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to see some passion within a teen.

-Amanda

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds interesting! I like to read books with tragedy and lots of emotions as well. Great review! :)