Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Lens and the Looker by Lory Kaufman

Title: The Lens and the Looker
Author: Lory Kaufman
Publisher: The Fiction Studio
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: B+

It’s the 24th century and humans, with the help of artificial intelligences (A.I.s) have finally created the perfect post-dystopian society. To make equally perfect citizens for this world, the elders have created History Camps, full sized recreations of cities from Earth’s distant pasts. Here teens live the way their ancestors did, doing the same dirty jobs and experiencing the same degradations. History Camps teach youths not to repeat the mistakes that almost caused the planet to die. But not everything goes to plan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book completely took me by surprise. Any regular reader of the blog would be able to tell you that I adore dystopian novels, so I could not pass this even. Though, this book isn't exactly dystopian, it is more or less post dystopian. Meaning, the craziness and panic is all done, and a new normal way of life has begun.
The descriptions in the book were fantastic. They gave you enough that you could sense the surroundings but not so much that it became tedious and boring. What I found really interesting was how, when they are at history camp, how much it felt like they were really in that time period. In fact, I thought something happened that caused them to go back in time already. It seemed that legit. But then, when they DO go back in time, Kaufman points out the subtle differences between how the past really was, and the History Camp's interpretation.

I expected the teens to be annoying and for them to get under my skin. But that didn't happen. They were rebellious, but that was the point. I actually really began to like the characters and root for them.

Another thing I wanted to mention was how they explained hoe glasses were made. I wear glasses, and I have since I was about 11. I will most likely never get contacts because I am just so content with my glasses. It was fascinating to see the detailed work that went into them in the past.

Overall I would say that The Lens and the Looker did a wonderful job taking you back in time. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history and romance.

-Amanda

2 comments:

lorylory said...

Thank you for your kind comments on my first novel, Amanda. All I can say is, "That Teen Can Blog!"

Keep up the great work.

Lory Kaufman
www.history-camp.com

Anonymous said...

what are the genres? I'd like to read this but i dont have credit card for online shopping!! T.T