Monday, August 22, 2011

Source Code

Title: Source Code
Director: Duncan Jones
Writer: Ben Ripley
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, and Vera Farmiga
Grade: 96% or A



My Thoughts::
The minute that I saw the description for this movie, I immediately added it to my netflix queue. The plot sounded very original and like something that I would enjoy. Also, Jake is really hot. But even though I requested it it took me a few days until I got around to watching it. I guess the initial appeal wore off.

When the movie started out I was immediately confused. Even though I knew what the basic plot was, a lot of new details were coming at me slowly, and I was trying to make sense out of them. The idea was so fascinating, but my brain kept overworking and finding holes in the whole Source Code program. But I guess since it is a fictional program, it doesn't have to be realistic or completely believable. My main problem was that, the last 8 minutes are only a memory, so how can you see things that are not at all part of that person's memory? If this isn't time travel, then how does that work? By the end that is sort of answered.

Besides being a bit confused, the next thing I was, was appalled. The acting was just so horrible for about the first half an hour. Then as things got more dramatic and exciting, it seemed like the actors got more into their character and performed better. Or maybe the exciting things just distracted me from the poor acting job.

By the end my heart was completely in the story. I don't want to spoil anything, but I was very surprised by how it ended, and it helps a lot of my holes in the idea fill up. When the credits started rolling, I sat there for a couple of minutes and said out loud even though I was alone...that was epic.

Overall I think Source Code had a very original and mostly thought out storyline. The casting was originally very nice, but didn't too as well as I hoped on the acting. I would recommend this movie to fans of Inception, or someone who just likes a plot that makes them think.

No comments: