Monday, June 20, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Title: Forgotten
Author: Cat Patrick
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Acquired: Free from the publisher for an honest review
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: 92% or A-

Every night, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can “remember” are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture.

Luke Henry is not someone you’d easily forget, yet try as she might, London can’t find him in her memories of things to come. When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it’s time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting—before it destroys her future.

This book blew me completely out of the water. I have a special appreciation for books that are able to bring something new to the table without hiding behind a genre like supernatural. I was almost going to put off reading this book because I wasn't sure if it was going to be for me, but thankfully I read it sooner than anticipated and came out very happy that I did.

I think London was a pretty decent character. I didn't love love love her, but she didn't annoy me much at all, which is something that happens a lot with female characters. Maybe this time it had something to do with her name. I can't help but connect her to London from The Suite Life of Zach and Cody. Other then a few minor things, I really felt for London. Obviously her life is really troublesome and I could never have made some of the decisions that she made. For example, choosing to forget a certain person..and choosing to be reminded about a certain person daily.

The plot and storyline went on as expected. I don't want to call this book predictable, but the highs and lows were. I knew when something bad was going to happen and what the result of that badness would be. Though this was probably my fault and not the book's...since..you know..I read tons, so maybe I just have some kind of radar. I was very impressed by the creativity put forth. It made the book a new experience and gave me hope that there are no bounds to what the YA genre can do.

The ending was a bit too mushy for me. I'm not one of those people who wants to be devastated at the end because of a random car accident that kills the entire family, but did everything have to end perfectly? I put the book down and was just..complacent. I wasn't jumping for joy, because honestly, London didn't steal my heart, and I wasn't sad or angry either. This book left me without any strong feelings. Okay I'm lying. There were a few times when my heartstrings were pulled on.

Overall I think that the book had some pretty good characters that were chilling in a awesome story. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something they've never seen the likes of before.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

This was definitely a unique read, but I agree with a lot of what you said. Thanks for the review!