Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Plague by Michael Grant

Title: Plague
Author: Michael Grant
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: 94% or A

It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.

But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in the quiet, deadly things are stirring, mutating, and finding their way free. The Darkness has found its way into the mind of its Nemesis at last and is controlling it through a haze of delirium and confusion. A highly contagious, fatal illness spreads at an alarming rate. Sinister, predatory insects terrorize Perdido Beach. And Sam, Astrid, Diana, and Caine are plagued by a growing doubt that they'll escape—or even survive—life in the FAYZ. With so much turmoil surrounding them, what desperate choices will they make when it comes to saving themselves and those they love?

These books are epic. It is currently my favorite series and I don't want it to end, thank goodness there are still a few books left!

Plague takes place I'm assuming a couple of weeks or so after Lies ends. As usual there are many problems and everything is going on. Some of the biggest problems involve running out of water, a horrible plague,

I really liked that a lot of them crashed into a climax in this novel. Issues with Sam and Caine are pretty much resolved. Everyone finally takes a side...literally. It was nice to see the characters acting rationally. Most of the time at least. As so many things were going wrong, the characters definitely came through for me.

I really liked Diana in this one..even more than Astrid. She acted like a child and broke. I know she had a lot on her shoulders, but I expected more from her. She was built up as such a reliable character. Even though she was stubborn and very opinionated, I knew that I could count on her to look at things with a critical eye. I was very disappointed when she stopped being the Astrid that I thought I knew. Diana grew as a character in this book. Her big surprise near the end is a fantastic twist and a first in Fayz history. Of course other characters made me mad at them as well, but I expected it from them.

One of the things I really like about these books is that they make me..feel. I feel like I'm in this horrible place with them. I have actually cried several times while reading these books. When I finished Plague I was left thinking about it for days afterward. Because even though some doors in the novel closed, so so so many more opened up. I have so much to think about now and it is very exciting.

I really wish more people would read these books. I can't stop talking and thinking about them. I'd recommend Plague to anyone who has been reading the series. You should really consider picking up the first book Gone, if you are even a little bit curious.

No comments: