Friday, June 3, 2011

The Island

Title: The Island
Director: Michael Bay
Writer: Caspian Tredwell-Owen (screenplay+Story), Alex Kurtzman (screenplay), and Roberto Orci (screenplay)
Starring: Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor
Grade: 88% or B+



I know this movie isn't exactly new or anything, but I added it to my netflix queue because it looked pretty good. This is exactly the kind of thing that I love to read about, so watching it is always a joy for me as well.

Lets start with the acting. I think both of the main characters did a very good job. Even though this movie was mostly action and suspense, they did a good job at letting in some humor. They were just so innocent and unknowing about the outside world, so it was very fun watching them have simple concepts explained to them, or their confused faces when something different happened. Their innocence also made me feel for them even more because it was almost like watching someone hurt a child. You know..if the child had like ninja moves.

The plot was very engrossing, it always is when it revolves around the lies and betrayal of a super company. Every time something new was revealed to me, I was surprised. I didn't see any of it coming. Each twist left my mouth agape. I sat at the edge of my seat the entire time.

The setting was very interesting as well and practically made the movie. The place where the main characters lived is portrayed as a safe haven to a deadly outside world. This gives it a very dystopian feel. Everything was white and very much structured. The "outside" was pretty cool as well. New future technology was shown and made the movie that much better.

Overall I have to say that The Island was a good flick. It kept me interested and even provoked some thoughts. I would recommend this movie to people who like a good "evil corporation" storyline.

No comments: