Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Skyline

Title: Skyline
Director: Colin Strause, Greg Strause
Writer: Joshua Cordes, Liam O'Donnell
Starring: Eric Balfour, Donald Faison, Scottie Thompson
Grade: 80% or B-



Everytime I see a trailer for a movie that is about some sort of alien invasion/attack I have to see it. So when it came out on DVD I added it to my netflix queue.

Like I stated before, I love alien invasion movies. The only thing that I dislike is the repetitiveness. The aliens are always bad, attacking the people, survivors of initial attack are trying to escape/get away from the aliens, and a lot of people die, usually only leaving one or two of the initial survivors. This routine was the same with this movie. Though, to be fair, the way that the aliens abducted and controlled people was pretty cool and added an original element. Usually one of the things that bothers me with this type of movie is that it is rarely explained why the aliens are there/what they want. It was the same with this movie, but it DOES show what looks like the aliens eating or harvesting human brains, which is my only guess as to why they are there.

The characters were decent but pretty stereotypical and irrational at times. All of the characters were characters that are in all movies of this kind; screamy girl, stupid annoying girl, guy with the ideas, and guy who keeps freaking out. It was no surprise who died. The ending was really interesting and left me thinking about what happens next. I would definitely watch a sequel if they made one. Unfortunately, I don't think this movie did very well as is common with alien movies.

Overall the characters were predictable and unoriginal as was some of the plot, though the few original points were very interesting and the ending was great. I'd recommend this movie to alien lovers, or to someone who just likes an action flick.

No comments: