Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

Title: Snow White and the Huntsman
Director: Rupert Sanders
Writer:  Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock, Hossein Amini, and Evan Daugherty
Starring: Kristin Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, and Charlize Theron
Grade: 84% or B
 
 

My Thoughts::
I didn't plan on seeing this movie. I love going to theaters to see movies, but in most cases they are movies that I've said "ooooh I want to go and see that when in comes in!" while watching the previews. But my friends wanted me to go to the movies with them and this is what the rest of them wanted to see.

I think retellings of stories are great because you're able to appeal to a new and different audience. While the original Snow White movie was directed towards children, this movie was aimed at young adults. I haven't watched the original Snow White or read the book in so long that I won't be comparing this new movie to those. I'll let it stand on its own in my mind. And it does, the characters have new personalities and the story is different in many ways.

The evil witch wasn't just an evil witch. She was power hungry with a very tortured past. I always love it when I can feel some sympathy for the bad guy. I felt connected to most of the characters this way. We are able to learn about their pasts which somehow make us feel like there is more at stake. More than ever we don't want them to die. Except for the witch and her brother of course, but their evilness overtakes any sympathy gained in the film. I really liked how the dwarfs were used in the film and the history we get about them.

The acting was pretty good. I know a lot of people like to complain about Kristen Stewart, but out of most of the big time actresses, I couldn't imagine anyone being a better Snow White. Plus I think this role was awesome for the type of actress that she is. The other actors did a good job as well, especially the witch and the huntsman. SWOOOOON was all I could do whenever that huntsman was on screen.

Overall I think that this movie had a good amount of action without foregoing the storyline. With decent acting and a hot guy, you should see this film.

1 comment:

Briana said...

I saw this too! Yes I couldn't help but swoon over the huntsman either. Yumm! I also love it when I can sympathize with a bad guy :) Good review!