Friday, December 12, 2008

Lucky by Rachel Vail

Since I've been ahead on my reading I'm taking my time reading How To Be Bad, so I'm gonna review Lucky for you guys today, which I finished reading yesterday. Oh yes not like it matters but I have a Mock Trial meeting tomorrow morning so I have to get up early. =/

****Lucky by Rachel Vail****

Originality- 17/20
Characters- 17/20
Remembrance- 8/10
Quote-ability- 10/10
Entertainment- 18/20
Ending- 8/10
Recommend to read- 8/10
TOTAL- 86
Grade- B

It's all good . . . and lucky Phoebe Avery plans to celebrate by throwing an end-of-the-year bash with her four closest friends. Everything will be perfect—from the guest list to the fashion photographer to the engraved invitations. The only thing left to do is find the perfect dress . . . until Phoebe goes from having it all to hiding all she's lost. Phoebe's older sisters warn her to keep the family's crisis totally secret. Unfortunately, her alpha-girl best friend looks increasingly suspicious, and Phoebe's crush starts sending seriously mixed signals. Phoebe tries hard to keep smiling, but when her mother is humiliated in Neiman Marcus while buying Phoebe that perfect dress and her father decides to cancel her party, she panics. How far will she go to keep up her image as a lucky girl?


The Good:

Characters: At first the characters are a little hard to relate to due to their high class lives, but after a while it doesn't matter and you can look past it. They still have teenaged problems. I didn't see that some characters were being spoiled, or bad friends untill they mentioned it which I liked because of the sudden realization. You got to know most of the characters pretty well, who were very funny.

Plot: The story was very cute and light. It's different then the books that i usually read. The best part i would say is the comedy. There were several times when I just had to laugh out, and read half the page to my whole family. I literally fell over laughing. Which alone was a page turner.

The Bad:

Characters: I said I didn't notice some things but I did notice when they were mean or rude. Like when Kirstyn starts talking about dropping Ann and Zhara as friends. But then after everything is good in the end this little thing never came up again. Or how Phoebe feels like she NEEDS to pay her part of the party or no party at all.

Plot: The plot was annoying at times because it was like "awww we're not rich anymore boohoo! No green dress for me, even though i have a friggin pool and lot's of awesome clothes already!" It was hard to take the "problem" at hand too seriously.

Overall: The good and the bad pretty much equaled out in the end, and I was able to strongly relate yet slightly dislike (does that say something about my personality?) the characters. The plot was funny and cute but somewhat annoying. Still after the short journey and small complaints I can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy!

No comments: