Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bloodthirsty by Flynn Meaney

Title: Bloodthirsty
Author: Flynn Meaney
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: B+

We get it. The message is coming through loud and clear: You think vampires are hot. your little sister thinks vampires are hot. Your mom thinks vampires are hot. Every single female on the face of the earth thinks vampires are hot. Girls LOVE vampires, and i love girls. Unfortunately, girls dont seem to love me.

So I'm making a change. For all the guys reading this, say a little prayer to the high school dating gods for me. Here's hoping that girls think FAKE VAMPIRES are hot, too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book was highly entertaining. Nowadays I try to shy away from vampire novels because they lack individuality, but when I read the synopsis for Bloodthirsty I knew I had to read it.

My favorite thing about the book was that it played off of the trend of obsession with vampires. It was able to poke fun at them and use that obsession to drive the plot forward. I could just imagine how girls would be quick to believe that someone is a vampire. It's sad but true. Us girls are just that hopeful I suppose.

Fortunately this book didn't just rely on the hilarious obsession with vampires. It threw in some other funny things such as the rivalry of Team Edward and Team Jacob, which was one of the funniest scenes in the book.

I feel the need to point out that this book wasn't just a big laugh that was super light. Bloodthirsty addressed a couple of other concepts as well. The biggest one is trying to fit in. That's what sparks the whole idea in the first place. Trying to be liked and popular.

All of the characters were very fun and were more filled out then I expected them to be. The brother relationship is always fun to read about especially when the tables turn on who goes to whom for advice and help.

Overall I would have to say that Bloodthirsty was a very enjoyable read that brought more to the table than what you initially assume. This book is great for anyone who is getting a bit tired of the vampire trend and needs some humor with a side of teen school problems.

-Amanda
Book received free from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great review. I haven't heard too much about it, but it sounds like a fun read. I might have to check it out.