Friday, January 7, 2011

Teen Issue: Organization

Note: These are my personal, unprofessional opinions from my own experience.

Organization: Being in high school is pretty demanding and stressful as it is. One of the hardest things for me is staying on task and getting everything done before the last minute. Unfortunately, several times I have left projects, papers, and homework in general until the last minute. This doesn't only apply to school. I'll wait too long to do my laundry and am then left with nothing to wear. Or I'm planning to have friends over and end up waiting too long to clean up, and in turn being embarrassed. Here are some methods that I use to keep my life a little more organized and on track.
  • Make a "to do" list. This can get as obsessive as you want. It can be a simple list of things such as "clean room, take shower, finish algebra," or you can get more technical with "Vacuum floor, pick up clothes, put away books." That way you can remember exactly what you want to do.
  • Make a schedule. This is very similar to a to do list but has a little more structure. An example would be: 12:00- Do math homework, 1:30- Put laundry in washer..etc.
  • Put reminders on your phone for big projects or even short term goals. That way you can get a little update on what you need to do. For example, "Science project due next Wednesday."
  • Instead of getting really stressed out about a project or a paper that you have to write, turn it into a lot of little homework assignments instead. Decide to write a 100 words a day, or buy of all the supplies you need by the weekend. That way you can think of it one piece at a time instead of trying to take everything on at once.
  • Get friends to bug you. It helps when your friends know what you need to do. Then they can randomly as you how a project is going or how far you are. Also, you want to please and impress your friends. You want them to be proud of you, not disappointed, this will push you to get things done faster and better.

Simple things like these will make your life a little less hectic. I am the stressful friend in my group because I often take a lot on at once, but these things help me out and keep me more relaxed. Here are some supplies that can help organize your life:

  • A cork board. After you make a list of things that you want to do, just tack it up.
  • A dry erase board. Write your to do list or schedule here.
  • A planner/agenda. Helps you keep track of things you want to do.
  • A calendar. Makes it easy to plan out long term plans and goals.

I hope these ideas help you out. If you have a teen issue that you would like me to discuss don't hesitate to e-mail me. txmandaxt@yahoo.com

-Amanda

No comments: