Friday, January 14, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Grade: B-

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce—and goes out of his way to make that very clear—she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book was surprisingly good. When I read the synopsis I was unimpressed. It reminded me a lot of the Immortals series. You know, reincarnation. Thankfully that was where the similarities stopped.

Usually in books like these you can immediately figure out who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. It wasn't obvious here at all. It took me until the very last moment to figure things out.

The book moved along smoothly and kept me trying to figure it all out. I was surprised that so many things were able to be kept in the dark for so long. It made the book much more exciting to read.

Luce was a pretty good female lead. As usual there were times when I wanted to smack her in the face but most of the time I was as confused as she was. It was really fun trying to figure everything out alongside of her.

There was more to this book then just romance. It actually involves some history which makes the book more interesting. What I really liked about Fallen was Luce's whole back story. It wasn't JUST reincarnation, there was explanations and even some looking back at past Luce's.

Overall I would say that the book got a little dull at times but I had a lot more to back it up than books similar. It was good enough to make me want to read the sequel.

-Amanda

2 comments:

Briana said...

Good review :) This book sounds like something I'd enjoy. Maybe I'll pick it up!

Someone Like Samantha said...

I've had this on my shelf for awhile and keep putting off reading it, hopefully I get to it soon since it doesn't sound too bad from yours and other reviews I've read!