Sunday, January 15, 2012

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is a post where I tell you the books that I received this week either by buying them from the bookstore, going to the library or from my mailbox. In My Mailbox was inspired by Alea and turned into a meme by Kristi.

Won- Thanks to The Book Monsters!

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

Fifteen-year-old Virginia Shreves has a larger-than-average body and a plus-size inferiority complex. She lives on the Web, snarfs junk food, and follows the "Fat Girl Code of Conduct." Her stuttering best friend has just moved to Walla Walla (of all places). Her new companion, Froggy Welsh the Fourth (real name), has just succeeded in getting his hand up her shirt, and she lives in fear that he’ll look underneath. Then there are the other Shreves: Mom, the successful psychologist and exercise fiend; Dad, a top executive who ogles thin women on TV; and older siblings Anaïs and rugby god Byron, both of them slim and brilliant. Delete Virginia, and the Shreves would be a picture-perfect family. Or so she’s convinced. And then a shocking phone call changes everything.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

From Netgalley-

At Season's End by Eric Hendershot

 Hit hard by the Great Depression, Sal’s family loads up an old Buick and heads out to find work wherever they can. Driving from place to place, living off the little they can make, they soon realize they’ll never be able to afford to settle down again.

Then, when tragedy strikes, Sal and her brother must learn to fend for themselves. In a world of harsh realities, there’s no room left for romance. But that can’t stop Sal from dreaming of a life with Ben—a boy from another migrant family—even though she knows she may never see him again.

6 comments:

Nicola said...

These look really good! I hope you enjoy them. :)

In My Mailbox #5

Shoshanah said...

I just love the title of The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things. It's definitely one that stands out and is hard to forget.

Amanda @Stuck In YA Books said...

all the books look awesome!

http://lovesbooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-27.html

Alison Can Read said...

Great set. I'd like to read the Carolyn Mackler book. It's a modern classic.
My IMM

Margie Gelbwasser said...

I just started reading The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things on my Nook and love the voice! The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is one I read a few years ago and really enjoyed as well. Tackled heavy themes. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of The True Diary of a Part-Time Indian! It sounds really good. Funny, that's the second time I've heard someone use the term "rez" for reserve. In Canada, we call university/college dorms "rez".

~ Farah @ Broken Penguins