Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read Dystopian

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's top ten is....

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To Someone Who Doesn't Read X (for example, if you are a YA blogger you might pick 10 YA books for people who don't read YA or if you read classics maybe 10 classics that those who don't typically read classics might read! Or you could get more specific)

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Need I say more? 

2. Divergent by Veronica Roth. I'm counting on these books to fill my Hunger Games hole, and so far it's doing a good job. Bad ass heroine? CHECK.


3. 1984 by George Orwell. This is like...the first building block to the dystopian genre, and it's a bit mindblowing when you finish it.


4. Dark Parties by Sara Grant. By the end of this book I was relieved but also exploding with questions. Fantastic world building with this one.


5. All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin. This book gives you a good first taste of this awfully corrupt world. I hope the next book gives me a bigger bite.

6. Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. Tons of suspense and action here. It made me really curious about their world and I want more!

7. Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan. Oh wow. This one had me at the edge of my seat and it's a good place to start if you're into Battlestar Galactica or the like.


8. Legend by Marie Lu. This is another one with a lot of corrupt government. This makes the world seem so much more unsteady.

9. Blood Red Road by Moira Young. This author packed a lot of awesome into a first book in a series, which is amazing. There are plenty of original concepts and character building.

10. The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This trilogy had me guessing and then second guessing what to believe and who to trust. Packed with excitement, these are a must read.

1 comment:

Randi M said...

Great list! :) I've really enjoyed the dystopia I've read so far, but I love book recs. I need to read MORE dystopia. :) Have you read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World? It's one of the earlier dystopias, and scared the crap out of me. CREEPY. ;)